The musty odor of your old mattress probably keeps you awake every night. You shouldn’t suffer from this problem anymore. There are a lot of home remedies that can effectively deodorize your old bed.
Here are some of the tips you would want to try:
1. If the weather is good and the wind is not high, try drying your mattress outside. The sun’s UV rays always work in removing any kind of musty smell in things. Remove the bed covers and the pillow cases. Let your mattress and your pillows dry under the sun. Place them over a clean platform. Leave your mattress there for at least 4 hours.
After the allotted time, get your mattress and place it back inside. Vacuum all sides of the bed. This should help get rid of the accumulated dirt and dust on the surface of the bed.
2. Sprinkle baking soda all over the mattress. Get a soft-bristled small brush and scrub the baking soda on the bed. Baking soda can get rid of stains and can also neutralize bad mattress odor. Let it work in deodorizing your bed for an hour or two before vacuuming it off. Vacuum all sides of the mattress to get rid of the baking soda particles.
3. Mix one cup of lemon juice and two cups of warm water. Place the mixture in a spray bottle. Spray it all over the mattress. Lemon juice effectively dispels the musty odor of mattresses. It also leaves a citrus kind of scent in your bed. Let your mattress dry completely before using it again.
4. If the odor is caused by bacteria, you might want to disinfect your mattress. Try mixing one cup of rubbing alcohol and one cup of water. Place the mixture in a spray bottle and spray it all over the bed. Alcohol dries faster. It also works in removing germs and bacteria so your mattress can smell fresh and clean once again.
5. Sprinkle baby powder all over the bed. Just like baking soda, it helps neutralize unwanted odor. Let it work for about an hour before vacuuming it off.
If none of these remedies worked, you can try using the reliable vinegar method. Mix a cup of distilled white vinegar with a cup of warm water. Place it in a spray bottle and spray it all over the mattress. This is also a good remedy for stains.